13th Annual Charity Pizza Eating Contest Results
$500 Cash 1st Place Prize awarded to Gus!
Gus ate a whopping 18 slices, winning him $500 cash donated by Meridian Bank, and a trophy presented by Miss Arizona, Jeff, and the Flancer’s mascot, Rocky the Goat. When Jeff asked Gus how he was feeling after the contest, he replied, “not to good”, but was still a great sport. Following closely behind in second place was Jeff Butler of Phoenix with 17 slices, then Kelly Brown of Mesa, in third place, consuming 16 slices. Kelly sat down after the contest and ordered a baked cookie ice cream dessert which he devoted, but without the time restraints. Youngest participant was 8-year-old Brandon Keever from Mesa, who joined his dad, Richard Keever, for the contest.
Raffle prizes won:
• $1,000 cash from Villa Siena wedding receptions
• $1,250 gift certificate for furniture from Norwood Furniture
• Two round-trip Southwest Airline tickets valued at up to $800
• Maddy’s Pool Supply & Service-sponsored $1,000 Best Buy shopping spree
• Tap Electric-sponsored $1,000 Fry’s food shopping spree
• 10-$100 dining certificates for great East Valley restaurants
A $720-value, silent-auction prize sponsored by Unifirst for two Phoenix Coyote hockey seats on the glass, with food and drink in the VIP club and a parking pass for the 1ast game of season, was won by Dean Descourouez of Mesa
“We have great local sponsors who help out every year, said Jeff. “We want to give special thanks to our Bronze and above sponsors: Ben Franklin Plumbing, Shamrock Foods, Alliance Beverage, Dignity Health, Norwood, Villa Siena, Tap Electric and Maddy’s Pool Supply.”